Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ok..worse than i thought!


(See the teensy-weensy "7"...that's home!)

June 21, 2009

I slept late. Christian came knocking at 11:00 and I could barely drag myself aright to answer the door. I had missed the bread man surely. Damn! Best milles fiuelles for about a buck per piece in the world. Not to mention great baguettes, pain aux chocolate, pain escargot (raisin rolls), tarte aux pommes etc. all for cheap and delivered in his little blue van right to the village square, every day but Monday. And I had slept through him. Damn!

The weather is beautiful…breezy and about 80 degrees; very little humidity, very few clouds, and so much sun that it kind of burns the eyes. They had a very rainy spring, which accounts for the profusion of growth everywhere, including fig tree shoots. They are legion. Now I am a fig fan but this is ridiculous. I was here last year and the old tree roots did not have new shoots. But this year those same roots are bursting with new fig tree wannabes.

I spent the day finishing the grass and cleaning. It’s a great feeling to bring back some semblance of order to the place. It’s one of the things about participating in this endeavour that I think is most worthwhile, that is being able to make your own mark. And while most of the marks here I’ve made myself, I am not alone. Every Micro-Leaseholder or guest that has visited has left their mark here already, in some coat of paint, some stone wall built or removed, some rose of fruit tree planted.

This is a place where, over time, you can share the things you most love with others who will appreciate them. I’m sitting here writing, looking out the door, through the courtyard and out across the valley. It’s not only beautiful but it’s peaceful as well. A certain serenity pervades the place and nothing can take that away. Well, maybe something, like a big party but I doubt it, I seriously doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment