Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Not too worse for the wear...

June 20, 2009

Well, that wasn’t so bad. I think I actually got a few hours sleep. It’s 7.25 am and we’re landing at Charles De Gaulle, right on time. A lot of turbulence on this flight but to their credit they kept us well informed and told us when it was going to be bad. I guess they’re all hypersensitive with that Air France flight disappearing. I’ve got to say, I know the US airlines have about the worst record on the planet but I just feel comfortable in an airplane where I know the captain or his first officer have landed on an aircraft carrier a few hundred times, or they have flown combat missions over hostile airspace. Maybe I give them too much credit but I’m prone to believing in the concept of a baptism by fire. Alright, enough about fear of flying.

Thanks to my girl, I have a bad cold. I don’t know how these things work but she had it and now I have it. It’s bad enough that I have it but to fly with it just sucks. It makes everything worse. Headache becomes monster headache, sinus congestion becomes the mother of all sinus congestions, dry scratchy throat becomes parched enduring-the-Gobi-desert throat with water being parsed out by flight attendants who think it’s gold they’re dispensing. Fortunately I have the in seat movie system…what! It’s not working! Oh my God! I want my money back!

Needless to say, I arrived in Paris refreshed and clear headed. It was a joy to walk the two kilometers to the TGV station from my arrival gate. I felt that surely I had been through the trials and I had survived. Now all that remained was a leisurely train ride at 320 km/hr for a few hours to get me close to my destination. Christian would be there to pick me up and everything would be happy and gay.

Well almost! Indeed, it was a few hours (first class is such a great treat by train), and in fact I only had to wait a few minutes for Christian. But there was no sleep on the train either. I don’t know why…can’t explain it other than being excited about getting back to Montlaur. It is, after all, the most beautiful place in the world. A guy can’t be faulted for being excited. In any event I arrived at home with Christian at around 2:00 pm and I decided that I had to cut the grass. It was about 1-2 feet high everywhere and it just wasn’t what I had in my mind. I don’t want anyone else to arrive here with the grass that high. It’s not right. After several hours I had the grass in hand and could take a wonderful outdoor shower. Dinner with Christian and Corinne was superb as usual. A little quiche appetizer and then tomatoes with a nice stuffing served to fill the void. I took a bottle of Chateau de Aveyllans Syrah 2007 over, made by Jean Pierre Martin, our vineyard manager. It was superb.


One of the many signs one must navigate from Aeroport Charles de Gaulle

Driving the new van was also a treat. It will serve all those who come to the vineyard and I must say I enjoyed driving it…even late at night when I was so tired I could have fallen asleep in a bed of thistles. However that is a good way to make the time adjustment…stay up as late as possible…then hit the hay, you may sleep a little later the next morning but you’ll adjust a lot faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment